Lay women associations have a long history in the Catholic Church. One such organization is the National Council of Catholic Women (NCCW). Unlike other female groups, the NCCW was founded in 1920 as part of the National Catholic Welfare Council, a predecessor to the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
Over the past few months, CHRC have been working on a parish mapping project. Taking inspiration from a similar project from the Archdiocese of Boston, we have constructed maps of what the parish boundaries used to look like over various times in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia's past. The main goal
Newman Centers play a vital role in the spiritual growth of Catholics who attend non-Catholic universities and colleges. The history of such centers is traced back to the University of Pennsylvania. In the year 1893, five students formed the first Newman Club with the purpose of giving “Catholic students at
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a diocese must be in want of a cathedral. When the Diocese of Philadelphia was established in 1808, Bishop Michael Egan made Old St. Mary’s the first Cathedral of the diocese. In 1837, Bishop Francis Kenrick tried to moved his seat to St.